I found this great recipe at Saving with Shellie and decided to try and make my own gluten free peanut butter granola bars with chocolate chips.
First, let me tell you what I changed to make it gluten free. The original recipe calls for Rice Krispies cereal which is not gluten free so I used Cocoa Pebbles. For the Oats I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Quick Cooking Oats.
2 cups Quick Oats
1 cup Cocoa Pebbles
1/2 cu flax seed
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Line an 8 X 8 pan with aluminum foil and set aside. (I also sprayed with cooking spray)
2. In a medium mixing bowl combine first three ingredients. By the way, I am not sure if her flax seeds were ground or whole, but mine were ground. She also says if you don’t have flax seed, add 1/2 cup more cereal. I also added chocolate chips.
3. In a microwave safe bowl combine peanut butter, honey, vanilla and brown sugar. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until melted and smooth.
4. Using a spatula or your hands, combine the peanut butter mixture with the dry ingredients. (Spatula worked just fine)
5. Press into the pan and refrigerate for 1 hour.
6. After 1 hour, remove from baking dish and cut into bars.
I am sharing this recipe on Gluten Free Wednesdays.